Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sock, paused

Here is most of my first kneesock. I didn't finish the top (2x2 ribbing) yet. I want to make sure that I have enough yarn to make the second sock as high. I may even add another 1/2 pattern repeat to the top of this one, if the yarn supply is good.

When I purchased the yarn, I had each color wound into two equal sized balls (by weight) so that I'd have a good chance of making equal length socks. I also knit them from the toe-up for this same reason.

So far, the biggest challenges in this project have been working on tension, especially in the single stranded knitting (aka fair isle) on the foot. You see some real shifts from the beginning - strongly teal - into the ball of the foot where I am more evenly switching between colors. I had some similar issues as I made it up the leg of the sock. I had started the project on size 2 needles and slowly began knitting more and more loosely on those same needles as I got up to the calf. I switched to size 3 needles for one pattern repeat and then finished the top four or five inches on size 5 needles. Again, I had to knit more loosely as I worked through the widest part of my calf.

The best thing about these socks is that they are made for me! The worst thing about these socks is also that they are made for me... the harshest critic, with the thickest calves!

We'll be seeing the socks on the needles again in about a month.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's amazing! I love the pattern on top!